- Fertilize when the grass is actively growing. Apply Gill Lawn and Garden 13-1-3, Medina Growin’ Green, or Green Diamond 21-7-14 to your lawn. Water in well (approximately 30 minutes per area).
- Organic fertilizers such as Milorganite and Lady Bug Lawn and Garden will feed your lawn and soil with minimal watering. Eliminate broad-leaf weeds with Ortho Weed B Gone liquid or Image.
- Lay new sod anytime, bermuda seed anytime this month.
Read: How Do I Revive My Lawn?
Most annuals and perennials can now be purchased as transplants this month. Here is a list of some of our favorites: (L-R) caladiums (plants and bulbs), larkspur, petunias, salvia, gerbera daisy, alyssum, false heather, celosia, lantana, coleus.
Beans, okra, radish, pumpkins, and watermelons
Hardy Trees, Shrubs, Vines, Grasses
All hardy and tropical trees, shrubs, vines and grasses. I can’t think of one that can’t be planted now!
Bulbs & Caladiums
Late spring and summer bulbs such as caladiums, and elephant ears
AZALEAS, GARDENIAS, MAGNOLIAS
with Miracle Gro ACR for Acid Loving Plants, Azalea Food, organically with Maestro Gro-Rose Glo or Espoma Azalea Tone
HIBISCUS & TROPICAL BLOOMERS
All hibiscus and tropical bloomers with Hibiscus Food, organically with Maestro Gro-Rose Glo
ALL TREES & SHRUBS
with Gill Lawn and Garden Fertilizer, Green Diamond Supreme Lawn Food, organically with Milorganite, Medina Growin Green or Lady Bug Lawn and Garden
ANNUALS & PERENNIALS
with Miracle Gro or Osmocote Time Release Granules, organically with Medina Growing Green, Lady Bug Lawn and Garden, Hasta Gro, Maestro Rose Glo, or Plant Tone
with Bayer Rose & Flower Care, organically with Maestro Rose Glo or Plant Tone
ESTABLISHED CITRUS TREES
(3 years or older) with ammonium sulfate 21-0-0 available in 4 to 40 Lb. bags, organically with Medina Growing Green, Lady Bug Lawn and Garden, Hasta Gro, or Citrus Tone
Read: Fertilize Your Citrus Now
All granular fertilizer should be watered in well.
- All dead and freeze damaged wood from hardy and tropical trees, shrubs, vines and perennials
- All early spring bloomers such as azaleas, carolina jessamine, climbing roses, and indian hawthorns after they finish their bloom
- Water all plants well after planting, and regularly through the first year. Plants will begin to use more water as they grow and bloom.
- Outdoor potted plants dry out quickly, as do hanging baskets and small annuals.
- Mulch all plants to help hold moisture.