- Fertilize when the grass is actively growing. Apply Gill Lawn and Garden 13-1-3, Medina Growin’ Green, or Green Diamond 21-7-14 to your lawn. Water in well (approximately 30 minutes per area).
- Organic fertilizers such as Milorganite and Lady Bug Lawn and Garden will feed your lawn and soil with minimal watering. Eliminate broad-leaf weeds with Ortho Weed B Gone liquid.
- Lay new sod anytime, bermuda seed anytime this month.
Read: How Do I Revive My Lawn?
Most annuals and perennials can now be purchased as transplants this month. Here is a list of some of our favorites: (L-R) caladiums (plants and bulbs), larkspur, impatiens, salvia, gerbera daisy, alyssum, begonias, false heather, petunia, lantana, celosia, coleus, marigolds, blue daze.
Azaleas, Gardenias & Magnolias
with Miracle Gro ACR for Acid Loving Plants, GD Azalea Food, organically with Maestro Gro-Rose Glo
- HIBISCUS & TROPICAL BLOOMERS
All hibiscus and tropical bloomers with Hibiscus Food, organically with Maestro Gro-Rose Glo
- ALL TREES & SHRUBS
with Gill Lawn and Garden Fertilizer, Green Diamond Supreme Lawn Food, organically with Milorganite, Medina Growin Green or Lady Bug Lawn and Garden
- ANNUALS & PERENNIALS
with Miracle Gro or Osmocote Time Release Granules, organically with Medina Growing Green, Lady Bug Lawn and Garden, Hasta Gro, Maestro Rose Glo, or Plant Tone
with Bayer Rose & Flower Care, organically with Maestro Rose Glo or Plant Tone
ESTABLISHED CITRUS TREES
(3 years or older) with ammonium sulfate 21-0-0 available in 4 to 40 Lb. bags, organically with Medina Growing Green, Lady Bug Lawn and Garden, Hasta Gro, or Citrus Tone
Read: Fertilize Your Citrus Now
All granular fertilizer should be watered in well.
Do not fertilize tropicals – they need to rest.
- All dead and freeze damaged wood from hardy and tropical trees, shrubs, vines and perennials
- All early spring bloomers such as azaleas, carolina jessamine, climbing roses, and indian hawthorns after they finish their bloom
Watch Out For
- Outbreaks of aphids, caterpillars, whitefly, scale, snails, pillbugs and beetles on everything from vegetables to trees. They should be out in full force and hungry.
- Watch for powdery mildew and blackspot on roses.
Treat with Liquid Sevin, organically with Thuricide, Dipel Dust or Spinosad
Read: Not All Caterpillars are Bad!
Treat with Liquid Sevin, Bayer Rose & Flower Spray, organically with Spinosad, Diatomaceous Earth, or Insecticidal soap
SNAILS, SLUGS & PILLBUGS
Treat organically with Sluggo Plus.
Read: Snails and Beer!
FUNGUS, POWDERY MILDEW
Treat with Daconil, Systemic Fungicide, organically with Neem Oil or Serenade
Treat with Bayer Rose & Flower Spray, Bayer Tree & Shrub, organically with Sticky Traps, Insecticidal Soap, or Oil Spay
Treat with Bayer Rose & Flower Spray, organically with Oil Spray
- Water all plants well after planting, and regularly through the first year.
Plants will begin to use more water as they grow and bloom.
- Outdoor potted plants dry out quickly, as do hanging baskets and small annuals.
- Mulch all plants to help hold moisture.